So this weekend we had terrible weather. Lots of rain and it hasn't let up as I look at my raindrop spotted window. But last weekend, like 9 days ago, I remember that there was this yellow ball in the sky and it made me warm. It was on that weekend that I made a trip down to Dieburg (pronounced DEE-burg) to visit my good friend from the states, Adam, and his special lady friend Marie.I was told we were making pizza, but when I arrived I learned that they had told Adam we were making pizza because he was unable to understand the concept of a pflamkuchen, which is in fact what we were going to make. I had never actually made pflamkuchen before, but I had eaten it at some of the weekly markets here in Frankfurt. This pflamkuchen was special, however, because we were making it in a homemade pizza oven! That's right, Marie's brother Martin and his friends had one of those itches, one of those, I need to build something itches. So they built a pizza oven in Christian's backyard.

After it was finished, they had a fundraiser baking pizzas and a good deal of the little town of Dieburg and even the newspaper showed up to take part. I was able to eat some delicious pflamkuchen that came out of this very oven. Oh the joys of a Sunday afternoon and the benefit of everything being closed and so people have 2 hours to heat up the oven and spend another 3 hours cooking and talking with friends.
Enjoy the pictures, and think about how much I enjoyed the pflamkuchen. I should probably describe it. It is a thin crust topped with a creme fraiche like sauce with toppings like cubed ham/bacon and onions. One of the pflamkuchen was veggie style with green olives, onions, and sheep cheese. Marie's little sister decided to make one herself with about triple the ham. It was a splendid evening, and was crazy to see an old friend from California 7,000 miles away from home in a little German village. And I know what you are thinking, and yes, sometimes I wear part my hair when I go to work, but I have since got it cut...
So you gave the pronunciation for the city but not for the food. I still have no idea what it is...I guess that what Google Images is for right?
ReplyDeletePflamkuchen... You say the P, then you turn that into flamm (like flammable) kuchen, like the COO in cool and the CH acts like a bridge to the en at the end, pronounced by making darth vader breathing noises... Pfffff-lamb-kuck-en.
ReplyDelete